If you love cake, then cupcakes are a gift. They’re not a typical Japanese treat, but we will be decorating them based on our inspiration from anime! The cupcakes themselves will have a simple, basic vanilla recipe, and for this article, I will mainly be using one specific way of decorating. However, you can make them as elaborate as you want and I will suggest other ways to make them just that little bit extra special.
What do you need?
250g butter (room temperature)
250g self-raising flour
250g granulated sugar
4 eggs (this should be about 250g)A cupcake baking tin
Some baking cups
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup milkA cupcake baking tin
Some baking cupsRecipe found here. Please follow baking directions in the link.
For the decorating
Rolled fondant, amount depends on the decorations you want.
You can use other things, like buttermilk frosting or edible pearls. What you use depends largely on the decoration you would like to achieve.
The First Step: Baking the cupcakes!
We can’t decorate cupcakes without cupcakes to decorate! I will just be using my mother’s basic recipe that I use most of the time. You can however bake them differently if you have your own favourite recipe, but seeing as we will be decorating them, I think some plain ones should be good enough. These baking instructions are for the European recipe. For the North American recipe, please follow the instructions linked above.
- Start with pre-heating the oven at 180°C. This way it will be heated by the time you’re done with the batter.
- There is some debate about the order, and to be honest, I don’t use the same order all the time either. Just slowly mix everything together, adding ONE thing at a time in whatever order you are used to.
- Put the baking cups in the baking tin, this will help them keep a nice shape.
- Now put the batter in the baking cups, I usually use an ice scoop to have nice proportions but you can of course use something else. Just make sure to take note of the fact that they will rise, but they still have to be full enough, otherwise decorating will be harder.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. If you’re not sure if they’re ready yet, use something like a toothpick to poke into it and see if it comes back out dry.
- Let them cool before you start decorating.
Now to begin decorating!
There are a lot of different ways to do this which will also depend on what you are using to decorate. This is why I will explain the 3 main ways that I decorate using my favourite decorations: rolled fondant, because it is really easy to use even if you are not all that creative.
Tips and Tricks
If you’d like, you can put a thin layer of fondant on your cupcakes as a nice background. Find a glass that is about as big as your cupcakes (if it’s a bit smaller you can still use the rolling pin and stretch them out a little bit) and use that to “cut” the rounds to use as a background.
If you find that your rolled fondant just keeps falling off, you can use some water to attach 2 layers of fondant. You can also use something sticky but edible to attach them (choco paste, frosting, etc) but this is a bit more tricky as it affects the taste, so I don’t like to do it.
I myself am not the most creative when it comes to cupcake decorating, which really shows in my preferred ways of decorating. However, I still believe that with the right tips and tricks, everyone can make some really nice cupcakes. If you do try some anime-based cupcake decorating, don’t hesitate to show us your creations with the #aninspire hashtag on Instagram or by posting them in our Discord!