Pizza is one of those amazing foods that can be made to please a wide variety of tastes. However, with how expensive pizza can become, it just makes sense to make it yourself. When you make it yourself, you have the ability to make it fit your specific preferences and it’ll be much more affordable.
Making the Dough
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Rest Time: 9 to 24 hours
Total Time: 9 to 24 hours
Yields: Two 12 inch pizzas
The following is list of ingredients that you will need to make the pizza dough. When it comes to mixing the dough, you may have to make small modifications to the amount of all purpose flour / water so that it isn’t too dry or too mushy. The rest of the ingredients must not be changed (Unless you plan to make more servings than what is listed).
1 cup + 1 tbsp of 00 flour
1 cup + 2 tbsp of all purpose flour
1 tsp of fine sea salt
3/4 tsp of active dry yeast
1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
Slightly less than 1 cup of lukewarm water
Please note that the dough will turn out better if you let it rise for 24 hours in the refrigerator. The instructions listed below are only for making the dough; the instructions for the pizza will come later.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together slightly less than 1 cup of lukewarm water, the yeast and the olive oil. Once mixed, pour it into the large bowl that has the flour and salt.
- Knead the mixture for about 3 minutes with your hands until it’s well combined. If it’s too dry, add more water and if it’s too mushy add more all purpose flour. Once it’s ready, let it sit for 15 minutes with a towel on top of the bowl.
- After 15 minutes have passed, knead the dough again for another 3 minutes. Once you’re done kneading, cut it into two equal slices and shape each into a ball. Place both on a floured surface (with a lot of space in between), cover it with plastic wrap, let it rest at room temperature for around 15 minutes and then place it in the refrigerator overnight (24 hours is preferable).
- Remove the dough around 30-45 minutes before you plan to shape the pizza.
Making the Pizza
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Yields: Two 12 inch pizzas
The following is list of ingredients that you will need to make the pizza. Keep in mind that a pizza must always have tomato sauce and cheese. Other than that, add whatever you want!
Cheese (Enough to have a light layer on top of the tomato sauce)
Tomato Sauce (Enough to have a light layer on top of the dough)
Please note that the cooking time will vary per oven. Add more time as you need, but always check on the pizza to make sure that the crust doesn’t burn / become too hard.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the dough on a flat, floured surface and apply extra flour to what will be the bottom of the pizza. Place the surface on the table.
- Use the palms of your hands to stretch the pizza out. Move your hands in a circular motion without applying too much pressure. At about 6 inches, use two fingers to make a small indentation at about a quarter of an inch from the edge; all around the dough.
- Continue to stretch the pizza until you reach around 12 inches. Apply the tomato sauce while making sure it’s only a light coat and that it doesn’t cross your indentation.
- Then, apply the cheese as well as any other ingredients that you selected. Place the pizza on some sort of metal tray before placing it into the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes and add more time as need be. Make sure to keep an eye on the crust to ensure it doesn’t become too hard and that it doesn’t burn.
Each time you make the pizza you’ll slowly improve and find new ways to customize the recipe. Hopefully this guide will help you start your pizza journey!
Please don’t hesitate to leave a suggestion or comment below!